Friday, May 19, 2006

Strep Throat

Dear Lisa

I’ve been exhausted and have a terrible sore throat. I went to my Doctor and he told me that I have strep throat. I’m worried about my 7 year old daughter because I’ve been kissing and hugging her. Now she tells me that her throat hurts too. I didn’t think anything at first because she’s been playing and acting normal. This morning she woke up with pimples around her mouth. Now I am beginning to wonder if she has strep too. Can pimples around the mouth be a sign of a Strep infection? She hates getting throat swabs and I don’t want to bring her to the Pediatrician and force her to get a strep test if it’s not necessary.

“Don’t want the stick in N.J.”

Dear “Don’t want the stick",

Throat swabs are very uncomfortable, and many children dislike them tremendously. Unfortunately, it is the only way to obtain a culture and determine if a child has streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat) . Strep throat is contagious via respiratory secretions. Being that you had close contact with your daughter it is possible that she has strep too.

According to The Red Book, Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases, transmission of group A streptococcal infection almost always follows contact with respiratory secretions. The exchange of respiratory secretions occurs when there is close contact such as kissing, hugging or sharing of food.

I am also concerned about the rash you are describing around your daughter’s mouth. Impetigo is a skin infection that may be caused by the same microorganism that causes streptococcal pharyngitis. It is common for a child to have strep throat and impetigo at the same time. Impetigo looks like pimples or vesicles which rupture and leave erosions with honey-colored crusts. Since your daughter was exposed to strep and has developed a sore throat and a new rash around her mouth, a visit to the Pediatrician’s office to rule out strep is a good idea.


Lisa Kelly R.N., P.N.P.C.
Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner

Pediatric Advice For Parents with Sick Children

No comments: