Monday, May 01, 2006

Office Hours

Dear Lisa

I am so frustrated with my Pediatrician’s office. My daughter hasn’t been sick in two years. Now over the last two months she’s been sick three times and each time my doctor is not able to see her. First she had ear pain. I called my Pediatrician’s office and the secretary told me that my daughter could not come in until the next day. She was up all night in horrible pain. The next time I called, it was a Saturday morning. My daughter had pain with urination and they told me the office was closing in fifteen minutes and I could be seen on Monday. When I told the secretary that I was concerned that my daughter might have a urinary tract infection and I didn’t think it should wait until Monday, she told me to go to the Emergency Room. The other day I left work early because the School Nurse called. I called the doctor’s office multiple times and they didn’t call back. When I asked what time the office closed they wouldn’t even give me an answer and kept on telling me that the doctor would call me back at the end of the day.

"Feeling abandoned in N.J”

Dear “Feeling Abandoned in N.J.”

At very least a doctor’s office is obligated to tell you the office hours. I frequently hear the complaint that a child is sick and they can’t get an appointment. In some cases a child’s condition does not warrant an appointment that day. If this is the case, a healthcare professional, such as a Nurse or Nurse Practitioner should be available to explain what you can do for your child in the mean time, especially if there is pain involved. Many Doctor’s offices make arrangements to accommodate “add on” patients or parents who work and can't get to the office during the regular office hours. Some Pediatricians hire Nurse Practitioners in order to handle the addition of “add on” patients throughout the day. Other Pediatrician offices have contracts or agreements with “After Hours Centers” that will see their patients and answer their questions when the office is closed. The office I worked in offers “Walk-in” or “Open Access” hours to accommodate parents with sick children. During the designated “Walk-In” or “Open Access” hours, patients walk in with no appointment and do not need to telephone first. This prevents parental frustration and saves the nurses a lot of time on the telephone. The best way to handle the situation is to let your Doctor know how you feel. Don’t be afraid to talk to your Pediatrician about problems you are having. Sometimes the Doctor may not know how his staff is answering questions on the telephone. He may not be aware how frustrated you are and that changes need to be made in the system in order to keep you and his other patients satisfied. Good luck.

Lisa Kelly R.N., P.N.P., C.
Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner

Pediatric Advice Updated Daily

No comments: